In 1939, Robert Steinhilber opened what has become one of the oldest family owned and operated restaurants in Virginia, Steinhilber’s Thalia Acres Inn. Continuing his commitment to service, quality and tradition are his daughter Jeanne and his grandson Brady. Together, they are proud to continue into the future with respect and admiration for the tradition and of the past. Join us for dinner and remember a time when every meal out was a special event.
A Closer Look
Visitors will need to visit the location to view the highlights and features.
Owners can contact VABeach.com at 757-460-9000 to enable your account so you can add your own highlights and features.
Coupons for Steinhilber’s
What a hidden gem in the Thalia neighborhood! Driving through the beautiful residential area it's a surprise when you turn the corner to this beautiful restaurant on the bay. There's outside seating and plenty of seating in a beautiful old school main room with tons of windows. We had the halibut (I'm from Alaska so I'm halibut savvy!) which was delicious and the fried shrimp appetizer came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. The service was great, the cocktails amazing and we had a great table outside (but if it was hot, I'd prefer inside).Lovely restaurant, staff and location!
Considering this to be an upscale restaurant, I expected much more. However, it was not a bad experience. Here are some pros and cons
1. Glasses, plates and silverware were not polished. Something you don't typically see at fine dining.
2. An appetizer of 6 shrimps costs $24. Which, if they were prepared in some extravagant way, I wouldn't mind paying the price. BUT, they were just fried jumbo shrimps you can find at your local outback.
3. Food presentation lacks tremendously. Visual aesthetic is important at any upscale restaurant. I took my family here for fathers day and each of the entree looked thoughtfully thrown together.
4. After trying each dish, I thought the meals were rather bland.
1. Located behind a nice and quiet neighborhood with patio seats.
2. The restaurant offers complimentary valet parking.
3. Exceptional service.
4. Great selection of wines.
5. Decent selection of seafood.
Used to be my favorite place to take my wife for special dates. But it seems in recent years the quality of the food has declined a bit, I am sorry to say. I think there was a change in chefs or something and our favorite dishes we replaced with ones that were just not quite as good. That being said service is always great and the atmosphere and view from the restaurant including the garden Terrace is great.
Arrived an hour before close, everyone was very welcoming. We sat outside, it’s beautiful. The service was awesome not overbearing and did not need to flag our server. The food was wonderful loved every bite. Ordered a very dirty martini and was perfect. We told our server as our team lates were being taken it’s our anniversary, they brought us ice cream that had a happy anniversary sign made of chocolate. Highly recommend this restaurant. Great experience
Always a wonderful place for dinner. The reservation or no reservation is a bit confusing. It it wasn't for that I'd give them 5 stars.